Sunday, August 30, 2009

Forgiveness in the life of a Christian

Forgiveness for a Christian

There are incidents that have happened in all of our lives but for dumb luck or Divine intervention, our existence would be very or vastly different. My mother wanted me to be proficient on the violin, of which there was no chance. But I did give me an awareness of my hands and use of my fingers. Because of my violin lessons for seven years, I truly appreciate the instrument in the hands of a master.

Working construction as a teenager on the Lytel Flood control I came close to losing both of my hands but for the intervention of a black co-worker. I am ashamed to say I do not remember his name. Another man working up top either on purpose, or by unawareness, set in motion a situation that would have cost me my hands if it were not for this unnamed co-worker. This man working above was both mean and vulgar, and in my thinking at that time, very capable of doing the deed.

It is easy without any thought to be thankful to someone who has saved you from harm, or in my case, the loss of my hands. But to forgive a person who either didn’t care, or would get some perverted pleasure out of such an act, is hard to understand or to consider forgiveness.

The Christian faith has stated in its all of its creeds, as they should as Jesus did teach us, to forgive as we are forgiven. What if we do not? He clearly taught us that if we do not forgive, then our sins would not be forgiven. Sin separates us from the only hope for eternity we have, and it separates us from the only One who has the words, authority, and gift of life to give. No part of the teaching of Jesus is clearer, and I can find no exception to what He has taught us concerning this subject.

He does not tell us we are to forgive other people’s evil done toward us provided such acts are not too frightful or there are extenuating circumstances, stupid or perverted. We are instructed to forgive them all, however spiteful, however mean, and however often they it is repeated. Maybe the best reason in the world I can think to do this is if we do not, we retain our own sins.

My only hope is that God’s grace is greater than my sin. The Bible tells me that it is. But I know that sin separates me from God, and in so doing, sin separates me from life in eternity. So, believe me, I have forgiven this man who may have wanted to do me harm. Who knows, maybe he took a dislike to me when I bowed my head and said grace before I ate my lunch that noon.

1 Comments:

Blogger roberta said...

Again, Lee, you've hit the right button. re:Forgiveness; in my life I've forgiven someone but not forgotten the hurt. Someone once told me that hate is the cancer of life. Roberta

January 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home